I have had so many people on bookstagram* and booktube* rave about audiobooks. People absolutely love them! But… I don’t, as much.
- They’re expensive! Why would I spend like £20 on an audiobook when I can get it for maybe even less than £5 in paperback form? Okay so Audible does a kind of subscription where you pay £7.99 per month, and you get one audiobook per month which I suppose would be worth it… but that brings me onto point #2.
- I’m not sure if I like the whole narration thing. I don’t remember having my parents read a book aloud to me. I was reading on my own from a young age, so I’m unused to having something read to me!
- I can never find the time to listen to audiobooks. I guess I could make time to listen to them, but I’d much rather be reading a paperback. I also get distracted easily, so I’m scared I’ll have to backtrack and/or miss loads of the plot.
- What if I don’t like the narrator? I did once have to stop an audiobook about half way through because I didn’t like the narrator. What if I buy an audiobook and hate the narrator… and then I’ve wasted all that money?
- They’re so long. Harry Potter and the Philosopher’s Stone, for example, is 8 hours and 43 minutes. I could read the book in less than half of that time… so why would I listen to an audiobook of it, if I could read two books in the time of one?
However, I am not one for slagging something off without trying it myself. Therefore, I have set up a little experiment/test. At my library, you can download and borrow audiobooks for 14 days. I have downloaded The Alchemyst by Michael Scott (read by Denis O’Hare) and over the next 14 days I am going to see if it can change my mind about audiobooks. Stay tuned in two weeks for an update to see if I’ve been reformed!
What’s your opinion on audiobooks? Do you listen to them a lot, or do you think it’s just a lot of hype? If you’re like me, are you also going to join in an epic audiobook experiment? Let me know in the comments below! 😀
*bookstagram = bookish side of Instagram, booktube = bookish side of YouTube