I didn’t particularly feel like writing about writing today, so I went for the next best thing – writing about reading!
Reading is great. Simple combinations of 24 letters and sometimes ten numbers and a multitude of punctuation marks can make you laugh, cry, scream or throw your book across the room. Or, slap the person who gave it to you. So yes, reading is great. But what’s better is reading with friends!
Why should you join a book club? Well, here are a few ideas…
- You read books you otherwise never would have. I recently read Anna and the French Kiss for a book club on Instagram – I’m happy I did, because I loved it, but I would never have read it if I hadn’t joined!
- You can talk about books when otherwise you might be told to be quiet. In fact, it’s mandatory to talk about books!
- Book swaps are possible! Whoop, more books!
- It gives you a reason to get out of the house for something enjoyable if you’re finding it difficult to leave. Especially prominent during the winter.
- Equally, if you don’t want to or can’t leave the house, you can always find a book club online, on GoodReads, or Instagram like me.
- It gives you a reason to go to your local library more often if you can’t afford to buy the books – fun fun fun! (I love the library…)
- Online book shops deliver. No excuses, for you or your friends.
- If you set up the book club, or are part of setting it up, you can always mention a book you’d like to read, or one that you’ve read and loved and you’d like the whole group to read! (I set up a book group with my friends, and we’re all reading Game of Thrones over the summer, which was my personal suggestion. We all got to choose a book that went on the final list, too, so everyone had a say, and it made it much more fun (and easier) to choose what to read!)
And another thing: you can always make new friends, especially if you join an online book club! Yay, friends – especially bookish friends!
So, what more persuasion do you need? Go sign yourself up to one, or grab a friend or five and start your own!