Wahayyyy!! Time to put the ‘fun’ into ‘fanfiction’ (…that didn’t exactly work as well as I hoped).
OWN CHARACTERS! Basically, making your own characters to put into the story! Great fun. But, your readers will only like them – and you’ll, most importantly, only really get good reviews – if they’re relatable, interesting and actually add to the story.
So, what makes own characters (I’m now gonna call them ‘OCs’) good? Well, here’s a few ways to do that:
- Make them relatable. Give them a problem you can relate to – for example, if they were in the Harry Potter universe, perhaps they’re having boy trouble, or their brother has been kidnapped by Voldemort or something.
- Make them interesting. Don’t make them shallow. Give them character. Let them have quirks. Maybe they swish their fringe every few minutes or so. Maybe they have a twitchy eye.
- Make them have flaws. You have no idea how boring it is to read a story where the character can perfectly read every single language, or perfectly can do the awesome martial art kick to knock out the bad guy. Even if their main flaw is that their dyslexic, and perhaps they’re trying to enter a spelling bee.
- Make them add to the story. There’s no point in having a character if they’re just a love interest for the character you like because they don’t have one/you don’t like their canon.
- Make them have history. There’s no point in a character with no background.
- Make them interact with the canon characters. It’s not the ‘OC’ show. The characters matter too – especially as, though you know your OC, your readers don’t. They know the canon characters, and that’s who they’re reading for. Not the random OC.
Now, what you’ve got to know about many people is that they don’t like OCs. So you have to make yours really awesome to get them read. And remember you have to have a good story line (see below) in order for it to actually be read.
Hope that helped. Questions? Hit me. 🙂
Others in the ‘series’:
- How To Write Good Fanfiction – Plot
- How To Write Good Fanfiction – Summary
- How To Write Good Fanfiction – Oneshots
- How To Write Good Fanfiction – Longer Works
- How To Write Good Fanfiction – Last Tips & Why To Write It